Friday, January 14, 2011

Monsters, Discourse, and Culture: Buffy the Vampire Slayer Blog Prompt

Monsters, Discourse, and Culture: Buffy the Vampire Slayer Blog Prompt: "What were your initial reactions to the television show Buffy the Vampire Slayer? What did it add to your current understanding of..."
Having never seen this show, my initial reaction to this episode brought different views upon vampires that I had never previously experienced. Overall, it was much better and easier to view than Nosferatu. My understanding of the vampire lore did not change by watching this episode, however it was interesting to see the initial entrance of the vampire coming up from the ground. I did not expect the creature that appeared, it was more fearful and ugly than anything I have seen in any film. Some rhetorical elements that I came across was the power of women in the time period, and the theme of good and evil. This show was much more appealing to my own senses and to the viewers of the time. With the use of more popular actors and strong humor, themes involved with monsters are alot easier to see. Like twilight, this show appeals to a different audience to show the rhetorical strategies and themes of vampires and monsters.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with your whole post. In Nosferatu I was never scared of what was going to come next; however, while watching Buffy I had to close my eyes a few times (I know, I'm a baby!) just because the vampire really was scary! I enjoyed the aspect that the town was depending on Buffy to slay the vampires because she was a woman.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with your claim. In Nosferatu there was only one vampire count orlok and the storyline tells us what are his evil thoughts so it did not felt that scary but in Buffy there were all kind of demons, vampires, monsters, forces of darkness. Always there is a fear revolving around about the idea of death. Its a scary TV series. The actors and actresses have done outstanding performance and made the show come alive and easier to understand.
    sheetal

    ReplyDelete